top of page

Accessing Dunollie
Museum, Castle and Grounds

At the Dunollie Preservation Trust, we firmly believe that everyone, no matter their age, nationality, background, or bank balance should benefit from the wealth of benefits conferred by a visit to a site such as Dunollie — from education to exercise, from connecting with your past to connecting with your community. As such, we are working on a range of initiatives to make Dunollie castle, museum, and grounds more inclusive and accessible to all.

​

Dunollie Castle’s position overlooking Oban Bay was strategically brilliant in terms of safety during the early Middle Ages. However, it does mean that today’s visitors face a steep climb to access the castle ruin. We’re making this easier for people with mobility issues by providing a new handrail and wood-carved seating, and because the castle path is unsuitable for wheelchairs, we are working on audio-visual aids to allow wheelchair users to immerse themselves in the views from the hill and the history of the castle.

​

We are also working on translating our tours for our non-English speaking guests. Currently, we have introductory handouts in French, German and Spanish. We hope to add many more languages soon.

​

​

If you have any questions regarding accessibility, please feel free to get in touch via info@dunollie.org or call 01631 570550 to speak to a member of the team.

​

​

Accessible Areas
(including for wheelchair users)

20220712_141535.jpg

Accessible Parking: The parking spaces closest to our site are reserved for those who need them the most. Our paths from the carpark to th eReception booth, to the Kettle Garden Cafe and to the museum are wheelchair accessible.

​

Accessible Toilets: Accessible toilets are located on the ground floor on the 1745 House Museum. If you have any questions please ask our museum stewards or any other members of our team nearby.

​

The first floor of the 1745 House Museum is accessible, although the entrance is 83cm wide. The Kettle Garden Cafe, the Draper's Shop, the Loom Room and most of our Enchanting Woodland Grounds are too.

Areas which require more mobility

The second floor of the 1745 House Museum, including our temporary exhibition room is only accessible through a flight of stairs. There is a handrail to hold on and the steps are of standard size. 

Dunollie's Castle Ruin is the most difficult section of our site to access. It is located at the top of a steep hill which can be slippery, especially upon descent. We ask that our visitors take special care in that area. As of winter 2022, we now have a handrail along the path leading to the castle and have been offering walking sticks to anyone who wishes for several years.

To find out more about the story behind our new castle handrails, click on the button below.

 

​

​

 

Once on top of the hill stepping into the enclosure of the medieval curtain walls should be simple enough, as is reaching the ground floor of Dunollie Castle. Since 2019, visitors can access a further two floors. Please note however that the steps within Dunollie's Castle Ruin are uneven and can be slippery.

​

20230321_155030.jpg
IMG-20220329-WA0004.jpg

Visiting with a dog

Dogs and other furry friends on a lead are welcome to Dunollie Museum, Castle and Grounds' outdoor areas. This means they can be walked in our grounds and up to the Castle Ruin but cannot go in the 1745 House Museum, the Draper's Shop and the Loom Room. The Kettle Garden Cafe has outdoor seating where dogs are welcome but we ask that they wait behind whilst their owners step into the building to order any hot drinks or delicious home-baking.

About Dunollie

Dunollie Museum, Castle & Grounds is run by the MacDougall of Dunollie Preservation Trust (Charity No. SC028091).

​

Vat No. 932 1135 61

​

Cookie and Privacy Policy 

Address

Dunollie Museum, Castle & Grounds

Oban

PA34 5TT

​

01631 570550

 

info@dunollie.org

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter
Follow us on
social media
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
HES Logo.png
HLF Logo.png
Trip Advisor.png

© 2024 by The MacDougall of Dunollie Preservation Trust. Proudly created with Wix.com

bottom of page
BOOK NOW